Thursday 15 November 2007

#28 Anthracophyllum archeri


Anthracophyllum archeri, commonly known as Orange Fan, is from family Marasmiaceae, and grows on dead wood in native forests. Pronunciation is Anthrack-oh-fill-um archer-eye. It is a common fungus and can fruit at any time of year.

Caps are shell-shaped or fan-shaped, up to 35mm and are attached laterally to wood, occasionally with a very short stem, but my local observations have noted the absence of a stem. The upper surface of the cap is smooth and radially ridged, tan to light orange.

Smooth ridged upper surface of Orange Fan Fungi


Gills are similar in colour but often darker, widely spaced and fan out in various lengths from the point of attachment. Fungi have a smooth leathery texture.

Orange Fan Fungi are usually seen in large numbers and can be spaced along a stick or log, or crowded forming overlapping clusters. The structure of the fan shape with widely spaced fold-like gills make Anthracophyllum archeri easily distinguished from other fan-like or shell-like fungi.


Orange Fan Fungi occur as many single fruiting bodies.....


.....or crowded overlapping clusters.


My sightings of Anthracophyllum archeri

[This will be updated with new sightings]

Barrington Tops National Park NSW - on dead twigs and logs in rainforest - Mar, Apr, May, Nov.

Hunter Region Botanic Gardens - Heatherbrae NSW - on dead twigs in open eucalypt forest - Nov.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This pictures are amazing! What is the camera that you used? And are all of the photographed fungi on this blog native to only Australia? I have used this information for a school project which has me interested in mycology.

Gaye said...

hi, and welcome to my fungi blog. Thank you for your comment.

My camera that I used for these photos is just a digital "point-and-shoot" with only 3.2 megapixels (Olympus C760).

Regarding the fungi in my blog being native only to Australia, some are and some arn't, some are even introduced to Australia from around the world. I don't have specific information on most of the species regarding them being only native to Australia, sorry.

I am pleased you were able to use some of my information for a school project and hope you persue your interest in mycology. It really is a fascinating and diverse subject.

Regard
Gaye

me said...

Great photos...the colors and shapes are gorgeous.

Gaye said...

hi Sara, and thank you.

As you are a keen gardener, no doubt you also find some weird and wonderful fungi creations while you happily work.

I apologise for the delay in posting your comment and responding to it, as I have been wandering around the bush over the other side of Australia for a few weeks. I found plenty of fascinating fungi growths.

Cheers
Gaye